Monday, March 10, 2008

He's hired!

I think I can count on one finger the number of times that Matt has gotten up in the middle of the night to help when Mallory wakes up. Hmm...maybe no fingers.... Anyway, I think that's about to change. Fortunately, Mallory has finally been sleeping through the night most nights. We have had a few rough nights lately, however. For some reason, Mallory has been sort of waking up ("sort of" as in she is mostly awake - I think - but laying down and just sort of making pathetic sounding cries) and needing comfort. The problem is, when I go in, I can pick her up, sit down in the rocker and she snuggles right in and falls asleep. So I think. As soon as I stand up to lay her down, her eyes fly open and I hear "nooooo". Sometimes I can get her laying down, covered up and out of the bedroom before she wakes. Sometimes I even make it up the stairs and snuggled back in my bed. But it never fails, she wakes back up and we start over.

A couple of weeks ago we played this game for over two hours before I finally got desperate and took my life in my hands....ahem, woke up Matt. After getting him awake enough to be coherent, he goes downstairs to Mallory's room and I hear nothing but silence until he comes back to bed about three minutes later. (I was trying really hard to eavesdrop through the monitor, too!) When I asked him the next morning what he did..."nothing". Fine, don't share your secret. (insert eye roll here)

Fast forward to a few nights ago. Five o'clock in the morning, this started again. I don't do well at 5 am, especially when I know that I'll be up in a couple hours anyway. This time I lasted about 45 minutes before getting Matt. Again, down he goes, quiet....and back to bed he comes. Good grief. I asked him again what he does. "Nothing, I just tell her to lay down and go to sleep." (major eye roll here)
Last night about 11pm it starts again. Either I'm getting smarter or more desperate, because I send Matt down after only one try. He does it AGAIN.

That's it. Since he thinks he's so smart, he's officially in charge of night time wakings.



And now, I leave you with a scary picture....



This is the way Mallory thinks things work. Hmm....Animal Farm, anyone?

6 comments:

Jill Brochard said...

He just earned himself the night shift!! Love the picture -- thanks for the smile!

Anonymous said...

I will be brave enough to say she just knows mommy's cuddle and Daddies are ...well a little scary..hehehehe wait til she gets a little older and realizes she can cry FOR Mommy :) but by then she should be able to sleep through the night, unless its scary then of course you'll just have a bed bug.

Amy said...

Your DH should get a blue ribbon! Love the tractor arrangement! :)

Jay said...

wow, I wish that could work here. Ken goes in and tries to put Ariel back down and she cries LOUDER! So he just brings her to me now, its a help, but you girl have it made! Woot!

lol, love the picture... cows are awesome!

BePe Baby said...

That is wild! ROb has never had a knack for getting up nights and is a wench when you wake him. But I have given him a few kicks. Glad daddy has been so helpful :)

SarahRachel said...

Ha ha ha ha...hilarious about animal farm. Jackson appears to be more obedient for Alan than he is for me. What is it about Dads!?